Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Where's the Love? Part II

Valentine's Day is right around the corner. It's the day where lovers profess their undying love to one another or it's the day that you feel like crap, because you don't have anyone to call honey.

Anyway, what is your favorite story or novel about love? I know that Oprah is in love with Their Eyes Were Watching God (1937), a novel written by Zora Neale Hurston, a Southern black writer and anthropologist. I remember when I first read that book in high school, I was lost in the sauce. For me, the dialect was hard to understand.

For those of you who have read the book, do you think the love between Janie and Teacake was real? Or was Teacake just the likeable bad boy who would have eventually broken Janie's heart? Tell me what you think.

3 comments:

  1. I'm pitiful -- I still haven't read Their Eyes Were Watching God. It's on my list, I swear!

    My favorite novel about love is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. The romance between Katie & Johnny Nolan is heartbreaking and real, from their courtship to their marriage until Johnny's untimely death. Strong family love is also pervasive in this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dreamer Girl, I love your alias. I would have to ditto Oprah. I quote the book so often when I'm talking about love. Zora was my mother in another lifetime. I like Disappearing Acts by Terri McMillian....real, urban love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Teacake and Janie's love was real! I loved the way he loved Janie, he seemed to really appreciate the woman that she was.

    ReplyDelete