Saturday, May 15, 2010

Discovering your Writer Self

Attending the right graduate program can alter your life and writing style. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but I think grad school gives you a wide range of skills. After reading a post entitled, "it feels like changing fortune," by fellow classmate Dave Kiefer, I agree with him when he writes how attending the University of Baltimore has significantly improved his writing. Before attending UB, I never wrote my stories by hand--I wrote every story directly into the computer. As a novice, I thought it was bad if you didn't know what your story was about before writing it. However, as I began to study the writing habits of writers that I admire such as Toni Morrison, I learned that many of them write their stories on a piece of paper or pad. At UB, I learned that writing is a process and an exciting journey. Discovering the story is the best part of writing. I used to think it was crazy when I heard writers tell journalists, "The story just came to me." But I can honestly say, this is true. A writer shouldn't cocooned himself in his dank, lonely writing den because the best material comes from the outside world. I find myself incorporating conversations I overheard and things I saw on TV into my writing. Writing is cultural; so why not embed society, media, and real life into your writing? With writing we are creating worlds, and those worlds should somewhat resemble "real" life. Not just fictional life.

2 comments:

  1. What I learned in my 18th century class, the advent of the novel, is that the real world can be told in a great, big, ole metaphor. A fantasy world is created through the imagination and anyone paying attention will soon discovered that reality sits right in the midst of the castle and witches....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your insightful comment, Latonia! Your comment made me reevaluate my attitude towards literature that is rooted in fantasy. I have always been a realist, so I never think about allegories, but you are right. Writers can use metaphors and fantasies to make a commentary about "real" life.

    ReplyDelete