Saturday, May 8, 2010

A New Chapter...

Yesterday night, I attended the University of Baltimore's MFA Creative Writing & Publishing Arts Book Celebration. For that night, graduating students from the program showcased their books that they designed and printed (some made theirs by hand). The books looked great. The prices ranged from $5-$30. I purchased Adam Robinson's poetry collection entitled, Say, Poem. Students also read excerpts from their books which ranged from poetry, novel excerpts, novellas, short stories, to memoir. As I was watching my fellow classmates give their final readings as grad students, I thought about how in one year, it will be my turn. I will stand in front of my peers, colleagues, family, and friends, and share my child to the world. Then, I wondered what in the world will I do after graduation? Teach? Write? If I could have any wish, I would love to be a "professional" writer...I want to get paid to write...I know that a lot of writers who dedicate their lives to the craft and do not have a "day" job often apply for grants and fellowships...but I wonder, is that realistic? Is that even doable? If you're a full-time writer without a day job, can you give me pointers?

No comments:

Post a Comment