Thursday, March 25, 2010

13 Ways of Looking at that Blackbird

You know what I missed most about Creativity: Ways of Seeing? The commonplace journals. At first, I didn't understand the concept. To me, at the time, it seemed like I was coloring--doing what children do in elementary school. I couldn't see the connection between the journals and writing, and then one day it clicked. I realized the journals were a place to think outside the box. A place to explore ideas. If I could be free in my journal, then I could be free in my writing.

P.S. Do you remember reading Wallace Stevens, "13 Ways of Looking at a Blackbird?" I'm not going to lie, I was a bit tired of hearing that poem, but after a while I begin to look forward to hearing it read by everyone. I am now one with the blackbird.

1 comment:

  1. You might want to give this to them as a blurb for that class. I have so many commonplace books it's ridiculous. They house my thoughts for a year and things that interested me. I watch how I change and some times I find some fodder.

    ReplyDelete