Thursday, March 11, 2010

Short stories are alive!

There are a list of authors that have written compelling short story collections. Here are my favorites:

Junot Diaz's Drown (1997) is awesome. I love how Diaz follows his instincts as a writer; his work is so unique and refreshing. I love how he uses Spanglish in his work, and how he feels comfortable to write unconventional stories like, "Boyfriend," and "How to Date a Browngirl, Blackgirl, Whitegirl, or Halfie."

Another favorite of mine is Edwidge Danticat's Krik? Krak! (1996). I loved this collection. The first story, "Children of the Sea," is spell-bounding. Reading Danticat's stories, you feel that you are in Haiti. Sometimes you can smell the air, feel the breeze on your skin; sometimes you are afraid for the characters and you find yourself holding your breath. Danticat is a true storyteller.

And last but not least is Toni Cade Bambara's Gorilla, My Love (1972). No doubt, I think this is my favorite collection because I love how Bambara tackles social issues without beating us over the head with them. My favorite story is "The Lesson." The characters are funny and witty in spite of their hardships. If you are a writer or reader who loves voice and character-driven stories, then you should definitely put this book on your list!

If you have any favorite short story collections, please share them. Tell us why you enjoy this collection and what you learned from the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment