Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Price of the Writing Ticket

Ever since I've subscribed to Poets & Writers, and also maybe it's because I'm in a MFA Creative Writing program, I have been receiving various promotional material for writing conferences: AWP, Nebraska Summer Writers Conference, and The Writers Institute at Miami Dade College. And, I'll admit a lot of the programs look enticing. Like last week, I received one from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, the university that produces the literary journal, Prairie Schooner. The summer conference will have great faculty and interesting panel discussions. The only dilemma is Mr. Green. And when I say Mr. Green, I ain't talking about colors in the Crayon box. I estimated a plane ticket, accommodations, and registration would cost close to $1,000. Now, I guess there are people that can spend $1,000 in one week and don't blink an eye; I am not one of them. So, I guess my summer educational pursuits will be hitting the library and reading from the greats. Cost? Free.

1 comment: