Friday, April 16, 2010

Hey, can I have my book regular?

I wonder with all of this technology, what will happen to the book? Will technology replace the physical book? What will that mean for brick and mortar bookstores? What does that mean for book design? It's hard to believe that books will become relics of the past. There are some things that we must preserve and the book, the traditional book, the one that is held in your hands, and have actual pages you can turn, and you can place your cheesy bookmark in, and write on its physical pages for posterity, must be preserved. I know for myself, I don't want to read a book on a book reader. I want to be able to smell the book, look at its cover, finger through the pages, and after I'm done reading it, I want to place it on my bookshelf and admire its beauty. Having said that, E-books are the new wave of the future, but they shouldn't replace traditional books. Not all new things are better. Long live the printed book!

No comments:

Post a Comment