Friday, April 30, 2010

A Dream Deferred?

The waiting game is what I call it. What am I referring to? The months and months you wait to hear whether your work will be published in a literary magazine. It's like waiting to hear whether you've got accepted into the school of your dreams. Honestly, I don't ever think I have a real chance of getting published, but it's nice to believe you have a shot. During your waiting period, you ask yourself, "What if?" What if your work does get published? I remember when my story, "Elvis,"became published. I received the news on the last day of July via email. It was for The Baltimore Urbanite, New Voices: Emerging Writers Issue, August 2009. I was so ecstatic. Lights, camera, action! I thought being published meant things were going to happen. Maybe someone would contact me...recognize me...phone calls...none of the above...but it is a starting point. So, I just got to keep trekking along and maybe things will start to happen. At least, I hope. Anyway, can you recall your first published story? Did you have high expectations? Did anything come from it?

2 comments:

  1. The Baltimore Urbanite, published two of my personal essays in their "what you're writing section." I was estatic when I got the calls. What happens is more noterity. Your name starts to make room for you. Elvis is a great story and it will make room for you...believe that...greatest will not go unnoticed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome. I have to check those essays out!

    ReplyDelete